Friday, May 28, 2010

Hollywoodland - **** out of ****

"Hollywoodland" is a mystery film that is based on fact but doesn't become a recreation of Oliver Stone's "JFK." It's smart enough to show us the smoking gun but not foolish enough to show who's holding it. When all is said and done, we aren't left with an easy answer, an accusing finger pointing at someone. Instead, we're left to analyze what we've been told, but where the film ultimately succeeds is that it's bold enough to ask, "Why?". "Why does this matter?" "Why is it significant?" Certainly some amount of justice would be satisfying, but on www.IMDb.com, George Reeves is still shown to have died from a suicide.

The evidence shows that there were two holes in the ground in Reeves' bedroom where the body was found, there are no powder burns on Reeves' head, and the gun (a Nazi pistol) was wiped clean of fingerprints. A private investigator (Adrian Brody, reliably awesome) goes after the trail and begins to feel the strain of his other obligations tightening like a rubber band. This could have easily gone into melodrama territory, but it feels very real and genuine, not like an afterthought. In the mystery, nothing completely fits, but the theories include Reeves' fiance (Robin Tunney, showing great skills here), the woman who mostly created him into TV's Superman (Diane Lane- I could have sworn I felt her fire), her pissed-off husband (Bob Hoskins, doing a 180 from his hilarious part in "Mrs. Henderson Presents"), or was it Reeves himself (Ben Affleck- I'll tell you about him later)?

This period piece never feels like it's being shoved in our faces or that it's phony. The colors keep us in a dark state of mind, and the lighting helps to show public isolation, or isolation of the brain among characters. This motif carries nicely and is handled in a way that keeps us absorbed rather than feeling like everything's twice as long as it is.

There are some suspense-filled scenes, and I can't tell you about my favorite ones because that would be unfair. It would ruin some suspense, and as far as I'm concerned, the less you know about the movie, the better. Showing us the actor that plays Superman after "The Adventures of Sir Galahad" ("I defended Camelot with a wooden sword") and before the Oscar-winning "From Here to Eternity" allows us to analyze the actor and not the idol.

Now onto Ben Affleck. I haven't really been a fan up until now. He always struck me as one-note, and despite occasionally excelling, I never pictures him as seriously award-worthy. Maybe "Armageddon," "Pearl Harbor," Gigli," "Surviving Christmas," "He's Just Not That Into You," and "Smokin' Aces" caused me to not consider "Good Will Hunting," "Shakespeare in Love," "Dogma," "Changing Lanes," "The Sum of All Fears," and "State of Play." I'm not sure exactly, but let's get back to "Hollywoodland." He embodies George Reeves and makes it look like the role he was born to play. He excels because of some very smart choices such as allowing us to see his conflicts. He's right at home in a mystery, and I couldn't have been more thrilled. He received a Golden Globe nod, but no Oscar love. Actually, only two out of five of the actors in the supporting category went on to receive Academy Award noms (excluded from the Globes but taking home the big guy was Alan Arkin). Food for thought.

I found it ironic that his own personal career seems to parallel Reeves'. They both worked in something extraordinary (Reeves- "Gone With the Wind," Affleck- "Good Will Hunting," where he won his Oscar for writing), but after those works, they seemed to fizzle out. Perhaps they didn't pick their scripts carefully enough, but that's beside the point. Later, they each performed in something truly memorable (Reeves- "Adventures of Superman," Affleck in this). I'm not sure what significance that has, but it's an observation worth considering. I hope Affleck continues to do work of this caliber.

I've gotten off-subject here, and I can feel this review including more trivia than being a true review of the movie, but after seeing this great movie, I can't stop thinking. My excuse is that in this mystery, the fewer plot developments I reveal, the better. Considering everything that was presented throughout the film and seeing the high-wire act the entire film danced upon, I'd like to just recommend the movie and leave you to watch it. When the final credits rolled, I just sat there in silence. I was moved and engaged in thought. I hope you will be, too.

Rated R for Language, Some Violence and Sexual Content.
Buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment