Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Mighty Heart - ***+ out of ****

While I was watching this movie, I began to doubt my skills to write an effective review of it. I spent around a half an hour just searching for the words to describe what I had seen, but the conclusion I have come to is that what makes this film a heavy step above the norm is the absolute power of Angelina Jolie's acting skill. She never lets the makeup, pregnant belly, or the French accent do the work for her, what she produces is a very difficult embodiment of Mariane Pearl. I long forgot that I was watching a superstar act in an Oscar-worthy role. I mean, let's just admit it; when we see a movie where a megastar with several blockbusters and "Sexiest of the Year" honors under their belt is expected to perform in a role to get awards attention, it usually feels like you're watching a kid wear a suit. This is certainly not the case in "A Mighty Heart," as this performance is one that should not have been overlooked.

Before I distract myself, I'll explain the story. In Pakistan in January of 2002, journalist couple Marianne and Daniel Pearl (Dan Futterman with tremendous screen presence) are visiting on business. Daniel leaves one afternoon to interview Asra Nomani but doesn't return home. If you watched the news during that time, you are aware of his fate. Because he is Jewish and the couple are staying with an Indian woman named Asra (Archie Panjabi, a major find), they believe him to be evil. He is thought of by the abductors to be a CIA spy posing as a journalist because of some communication with the US Government (although he is American), and unfortunately, they are never convinced. The search continues for ten days until it is confirmed that he was murdered by the group.

I would never give away the ending of a movie, but this is an exception. The filmmakers must assume that those attending the film know of Daniel's demise. This doesn't ruin the storytelling but instead enhances it as the search for information continues. It is a tragedy instead of a sob story because of the extreme efforts undertaken by the FBI, Pakistani police, and those living in the house, including Marianne and Asra. They keep a large dry-erase board which is used to show the connections amongst those that fit within the chain.

This will be a very short review for me because most of what I would end up doing is spitting out names and affiliations, and I feel that that would be wasted time. The movie explains all that. The film was Brad Pitt's idea because of the interviews with Mariane broadcast during the time. His production company, PLAN B, helped to make this film, but the screenplay by John Orloff (whose only previous writing credit was "Band of Brothers," two episodes) is based upon Mariane's memoir, 'A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life & Death of my Husband Danny Pearl.' I have not read the memoirs, but I would imagine that the script stayed close to the material as nothing fictional or fantastical seemed to be present. The direction by Michael Winterbottom (British director whose only credit you would most likely recognize is "Tristam Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story") gives the movie a neo-documentary feel, showing us scenes in the beginning that were difficult to decipher whether they were archive footage or re-shot for the film.

Everything about this film works except for a slight narrative lull in the middle. I feel like a hypocrite by praising the realism yet mentioning a somewhat boring part of the story, like they should enhance it for dramatic gain. Every bit of information they give is necessary, and it's handled in such a great manner, but I have to remember one of the main rules of art; "Never, ever bore your audience." For the vast majority of the movie, however, it is suspenseful, fascinating, and filled with subtle drama. Mariane's suffering is never shoved in our faces (as one worker stated after her first interview, "you'd never know it that her husband's been missing for six days."), and the manner in which Angelina Jolie handles this material is brilliant. I believed every line, every second. She already has one Oscar for "Girl, Interrupted" and was nominated later for "Changeling," but this performance should have been more widely recognized. She deserves even more praise.

Rated R for language.
Buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment